International Dance School Alicante
International Dance School was born in 2018 out of the necessity of high-quality dance training in the Costa Blanca.
In less than three years, the school has become a reference due to its rigorous training program, its excellent faculty, having one of the best private facilities in the area, and above all, the performance of the students.
IDS offers an international training system, allowing access to all areas of dance and interaction with the highest level European centers, guaranteeing careful dance teaching. Our students have been accepted in the best professional schools of the moment, in their different training modalities, such as Vaganova Academy, Zurich Dance Academy, Staatliche Ballettschule Berlin, Bolshoi Ballet Academy, Ballet School of the Stuttgart Staatstheater, Performers College, etc. IDS is also a meeting place for some of the most renowned dance figures in Spain, and a home for its resident companies.
International Dance School opened its doors in March 2018 with the celebration of the I World Dance Fair in Alicante (Spain), an event that unified all styles of dance, bringing together not only practitioners but also professionals from the sector such as clothing brands, footwear, schools, companies, promoters, etcetera. The Fair was supported by the local government, taking place in a number of public and private spaces around the whole city.
Valerie Maciá Manzanaro – Director of IDS
Valerie is an active and well-known member of the dance scene in Spain, especially the Costa Blanca area, where she has developed most of her career becoming a key figure. She has curated important events in Alicante, leveraging the city’s potential around tourism and connecting it to the arts.
She graduated in Classical Ballet and Spanish Dance at the Professional Dance Conservatory of Alicante. She also trained professionally at the renowned school Amor de Dios in Madrid before joining the flamenco company Luisillo in Madrid. Later on, she joined the Ballet de Alicante, where she became a principal dancer.
Ms. Maciá holds a degree in Philosophy and Language from the University of Alicante.
After retiring from the stage in 1995, she started teaching at the Professional Dance Conservatory of Alicante, where she was appointed Director in 2012. During the years that she led the institution, she took on several projects key to its development and professionalization, leading to a much higher rate of students success. These projects include:
Research for the Skills Assessment System, together with the University of Valencia. Book published by the Generalitat Valenciana in 2015. Project of schedule coordination to integrate the regular studies and the dance studies in a unitary and compatible program - Integrated high school. Alliances with the Royal Dance Conservatory Mariemma of Madrid. Achieves the celebration of the I Russian Masters Ballet Camp at the Professional Dance Conservatory of Alicante. Alliances with the international summer intensives at IB Stage (Barcelona), Alicia Alonso Institute (Madrid), and Danza Valencia (Valencia).
In 2018 she stops directing the Conservatory to focus on her personal projects, including: • 2018 Co-Director of the I World Dance Fair in Alicante. • 2019 Becomes as an Academic at the Academy of Performing Arts of Spain, based in Madrid. • 2018 – now Director of International Dance School.
Important events hosted on IDS
- Venue of the I World Dance Fair – Teacher at School: Anna OL - 2018.
- Venue of Russian Masters Ballet Camp – 2018 - 2019.
- Workshop with Joaquin de Luz – New York City Ballet Principal Dancer and current Director of the Compañía Nacional de Danza of Spain - 2019.
- Workshops with Jesús Carmona – Prix Benois 2020 Best Dancer - 2019 and 2020.
- Jesús Carmona performance at IDS for a small audience.
- Workshop with Lienz Chang – Répétiteur of Roland Petit, ballet master at Teatro alla Scala de Milán, Teatro San Carlo Napoli, Teatro all'Opera di Roma and Teatro Massimo Palermo.
- Workshops with Sergio Bernal – Spanish Dance artist and Ambassador for the Arts of the United Kingdom - 2019 and 2020.
- The renowned choreographer Gustavo Ramírez has established the residence of his Contemporary Dance Company Titoyaya at IDS.
- The school will also host in residency in November 2021 Carlos Acosta’s Company Acosta Danza, which begins its world tour in Alicante.
If you would like to visit the website of the International Dance School Alicante please click here…